nuffnang

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Damires Hills Tierra Verde - A Great Weekend Getaway



A haven for the weary soul. That is what came to my mind when I first entered Damires Hills several months ago while I, together with a friend, was looking for a venue for a retreat. Though it was my first time to be there personally, I knew about the place several years ago when a former student posted pictures of it. They just started working on it at that time. In effect, I can say that I witnessed its transformation to what it is now. 



Owned by the Tirador Family, Damires Hills can be found in Januiay, Iloilo. Its very picturesque landscape is a sight to behold. The big and small open cottages that dot the
area sorrounding the two swimming pools are situated on the top of a hilly place and are afforded with a soothing scenery of green verdant fields. No wonder it is also called Tierra Verde.


What can guests do to enjoy their stay in Damires Hills? Aside from just basking in the sun and relaxing in the midst of the great scenery and fresh air, the more adventurous ones can challenge themselves through the use of the zipline. The length of the zipline going to the first station is about 380 meters and from there it takes about 170 meters to the second station. Those who just want to bounce around can do just with the help of two trampolines. I didn't get to do both because after the short visit there. I still had another meeting to go to and I didn't want to smell of sweat when I get there.




If those activities are too much they can just go on a 20 - 30 minute trail hike up the hills and if they want they can also try the canopy walk which is a 240 meter long hanging bridge that rises up above the fields. Not an easy feat to do for those who are leery of heights but I found out that just by looking straight ahead and not downwards it can be done. Even I was able to do it despite the shrieking of a friend who was right behind me. Actually, a week before I crossed that bridge I was telling myself no way am I going to do it. So when I finally reached the other end of the bridge I really felt good. I had that sense of accomplishment of having done something that I thought was impossible for me to do.

Visitors who would like to stay overnight can make use of the four airconditioned rooms with balcony near the restaurant. Named after flowers, the rooms have two beds but can have up to 3 persons though only two can enjoy the complimentary breakfast. Another option would be for them to get the airconditioned cottages which are named after trees like Durian, Bugnay, Langka and the likes. These can accommodate 3 - 8 people (depending on its size) that can be found in the higher area of the 3-4 hectare resort and  more than 30 hectares farm area. The cottages actually provides a better view especially in the morning because it overlooks the resort. Each one has a hammock outside for a more relaxing stay. More cottages and rooms are going to be built in the future to accommodate more number of people. 




I give a thumbs up for their rooms and cottages because aside from it having the usual freebies of soap and shampoo it is  clean and fresh smelling. I am usually particular about the condition of the toilet and bathroom and the ones in Damires Hills are up to par. The towels as well as the linens used are quite white which I like very much.



There is also a two level hall that can be subdivided into smaller conference rooms. The Walingwaling Hall can accommodate a good number of people making it an ideal venue for conferences, seminars, trainings or other events like weddings. It is also airconditioned but the doors on the sides can be left open if the guests would prefer to have fresh air.



Guests though who would like to go there just for lunch or dinner can enjoy the scenery from the restobar. The foods prepared usually make use of fresh ingredients taken from the farm. Almost every time I go there I would start with a papaya shake - healthy and yummy. The prices of the food and beverages are quite affordable. 





There is also a small shop inside the resort from which the guests can buy food items like the local delicacies, fresh fruits and souvenir items. A bigger merchandise area is being built right now to showcase more products.


One other good point is that they have very welcoming and accommodating staff. They are quite polite and helpful. I especially like the fact that they smile a lot. It makes a big difference.


It takes about an hour or less to get there from Iloilo City. Commuters who would like to visit the place can take the Iloilo - Januiay jeepney from Ungka Terminal then a tricycle from Januiay town proper. Aside from that they can also make use of jeepneys, vans and buses going to Lambunao, Calinog and Tapaz and just get off at Januiay. If they take the Badiangan jeepney though it is possible to get down near the entrance if the resort.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maze. I have longed to go to Damires Hills. This is a really nice post :-) How much can one spend when visiting Damires and spending overnight there? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete