nuffnang

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Light of Peace 2014 - An Event Not to Be Missed


I was taking a short nap right after my morning classes when suddenly my phone started ringing. It was a good thing that the ringer was on since it is usually off whenever I have my class. A very familiar voice greeted me. I thought he called because of some business transactions but I was mistaken. He asked me if I remembered the Lantern of Peace event held last year. Though I gave him an affirmative answer I also told him that I missed it. Then he went on by telling me that there will be a similar event this year and that he was supposed to invite 2000 participants to fill in the space for the Philippines map. I was so right when he next asked me how many people I can commit. He also asked if I can provide people who can volunteer in the center since according to him there was a need for more volunteers. I told him that I am not sure yet how many volunteers I can provide for the center but at that particular I can assure him of two  people who can help out aside from the participants that I will try to invite. On that fateful morning, I got roped in to become a part of the Light of Peace 2014. 

About two days after that I went with a friend to be oriented about the event as well as to inquire regarding the tasks that we were supposed to do. We actually had a choice. We can be just mere participants or we can become volunteers for it. Since I have already committed a certain number of participants I had to start looking for friends who have people who can join us. Thus, I asked the help of some friends from the academe as well as from NGO's and volunteer organizations. I am so glad though that they were very open to the idea of sending the people under their respective jurisdictions. It pays to have good friends who are willing to help despite the very short notice. It will be very hectic from now on up to the event and maybe after it but then again I am in. I will not miss this new opportunity to be a part of a historic event. 

Note: Updates/Info about the Light of Peace will be posted later.

No comments:

Post a Comment