nuffnang

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Missed Opportunity...Lantern of Peace 2013

Video Courtesy of https://www.youtube.com/user/simplyiloilo


Goosebumps...touched...overwhelmed...teary-eyed. Those are just some of the things that I can remember feeling when I saw the thousands of Lanterns of Peace floating in the air last May 2013. I would have
wanted to join the event but unfortunately I could not due to my Tatay's condition. So there I was sitting in the cold hospital room and witnessing the event through the television broadcast. It was an amazing sight not just because of the lanterns that flickered in the vast dark sky but because of the sheer number of people who took part in the event.

Miag-ao, Iloilo may not be considered as the biggest town in the province but it has earned many distinctions. Whenever somebody would ask me about the town in the past I would always tell them about Miaga-ao Church, a UNICEF World Heritage Site, and University of the Philippines-Miag-ao which is one of the biggest of all the UP campuses all over the country. Now I have another thing to say about the town and that is the fact that it holds the record for the most number of sky lanterns released at more than 15,000. The feat broke the record which was previously held by Romania and this particular record will be kept forever.

At that time, I told myself that I will not miss the next one. I did not know then that there will be no more of it. Luckily though there will be another event which is similar to that - The Light of Peace 2014. This one event that I will miss.

1 comment: