nuffnang

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Remembering the 90's Dunkin' Donuts Experience in Iloilo City



It was in the 90's when Dunkin Donuts first opened its doors to the Ilonggos. The first store was opened in Iznart St., Iloilo City. It was just beside a movie theater which has long been closed down. I can still remember the anticipation of the many doughnut lovers because it was the first ever doughnut shop in the city if not the whole island.


There was a big launching activity with all the music and the likes. I was a witness to most of the activities then because my workplace was just right across the street from the store. I can still remember the customers patiently waiting in the meters- long queue. I wanted to go there on recess time to get something to eat there but I knew that the 15-minute break will not be enough. I would be late for work if ever I would line up buy something there. The long queue was not just for a day or a week. It went on for several weeks. Though it tapered down to a more manageable and shorter after a while.

Since it was also the first 24/7 food chain in Iloilo City, it was a favorite destination of those who maybe considered as nocturnal creatures and was a favorite hang-out place for many. I would often drop by for a treat or two after work. More than two decades, that particular Dunkin' Donuts branch still exists. It might not be as crowded as when it first opened but business is still going strong there. There are other branches and even Dunkin' Donuts  kiosks in many locations in the whole island but none of it was able to equal the feat of the first one.


91dcd76c174b0a5ca66f5232d97f51f338757b1b826c58872e

No comments:

Post a Comment